8/3/11

Meeting the Teacher

So Kathryn came to our house last night to meet us. She will be Davis' lead teacher in the Koalas class at Child's Day. Here is how they describe this home visit: a way for the teacher to come to your house, meet your child and learn about him and his environment. Here's what it was: me asking the teacher a bunch of questions and even saying "So, is there anything you want to know about Davis? About us? About anything at all?"

Don't get me wrong. She was nice and clearly very smart and experienced when it comes to child development...but I expected something else and was underwhelmed. I want to call the director and tell her she needs to either re-frame the offering, or talk to the teachers about how to deliver against that offering. But I won't because I don't want to be the parent that complains before school has even started. I just think she should know though.

I expected the teacher to come in, smile a ton, squat down and talk to Davis. Then ask us what Davis is like, what he's been doing lately, and what we think he'll like or be nervous about with school. Not so much.

Again- she was super kind and incredibly calm- which I guess you have to be in that role. And the two assistant teachers are male...which they talk about upfront. Their philosophy is that it's good to have both genders for your kid to interact with. I agree. I didn't expect that they would both be male though. She said that she continues to bring one of the assistants with her each year because kids adore him- he's loud and funny and silly. I guess I just hope Davis gets hugged enough. And nurtured.

So I'm going to a workshop through the school on Sunday about separation anxiety. Hopefully that will help.

This is supposed to be the best little school in town- so I need to trust that it will be great and not panic until it isn't. Then I bust skulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment