5/3/11

What a Stinker


So the last post was about what a sweetheart Davis is, and this one is about what a stinker he is. I guess that pretty much sums up relationships with toddlers. Anyway- he woke up around 11:00 last night and just couldn't stop sobbing, couldn't sleep. Bennett went in and rocked him, I went in and rocked him, we tried everything, but to no avail. Around midnight, I made the mistake of carrying him into the kitchen with me to see if some Tylenol would help. All of the sudden he was happy as a clam and obsessed with the Tylenol bottle and the way he could spin the cap without taking it off or dropping it. (It's the small things...)

I took him back to his room, put him in his crib and thought "Well, I'll let him play with that bottle until he falls asleep. No big deal." So I went back to bed...tried to fall asleep...listened to the silence and thought "What if he gets that lid off and it spills everywhere? What if he gets that lid off and chews on it and chokes on it?" So I went back to his room and ever so carefully took the bottle from his hands.

OH MY LORD. All sorts of hell broke loose. He was hysterical- he couldn't stop crying- he couldn't breathe- he kept falling over in his crib due to the devastation- he could. not. live. without. the. tylenol. bottle. I held my ground. For about an hour. I went back in occasionally and he couldn't stop wailing and reaching for the changing table where I had put the tylenol. Finally, around 1:00 a.m. I said to myself "This is ridiculous. It's a child proof cap and I'm tired." So I gave him the tylenol bottle and went to sleep. This morning, I expected him to sleep late. I peeked in around 7:30 and he was wide awake just sitting in the corner of his crib spinning the cap on the bottle.

Look out world. This kid has resolve.

3 comments:

  1. Ha - that is so something Sawyer would do also. And then I would obsess about it all night, him choking or overdosing or something. He is obsessed with his Advil bottle right now and insists on crawling around with it hanging out of his mouth. I'm choosing to pick my battles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. pick your battles and give them the bottles. guess that is the moral of the story. ha.

    ReplyDelete