5/18/11

The Little Things

The little things make a BIG difference. Here are a few that made me smile.

1) I've been trying to teach Davis both the word "pool" and "poo-poo". As you can imagine- it's tricky to understand that they are two different words- that clearly have two different meanings. Today, when I went in to wake him up and change his diaper- I opened it and to my surprise it was a #2 instead of the usual #1. Before I could say anything, Davis very matter of factly said "poo-poo". And never have those words made me smile so. It's awesome to see how many new words he is learning- and beyond that- the meanings that he associates with them.

2) I've felt a little overwhelmed with life lately (not when I was at Hyatt Lost Pines, of course) but just when Davis has been traveling or when I work, then have work to bring home, and also have many things to do around the house. Anyway- yesterday I got a text from Carrie (Davis' nanny, not Carrie Ryan) that said "What sort of jelly do you guys like? I see that you're out- we're going to walk up to the store- so I'll grab some." That doesn't sound life changing- and I'm not saying it is- but it was really helpful. And so kind. Have I said how much I am dreading her going back to school? I am. But I'm telling myself, and I do believe, that he is getting more and more ready for the interaction and the learning.

3) I read a lot. Mainly in bed. With a great little light from Red over my head...it's perfect for reading. Until it goes out. And I've been too busy to figure out which light bulb it is and then go find them. But it vexes me every night when I go to read and I can't.

So Bennett is really busy too. And Bennett can pay very close attention to detail in some cases, and not so much in others. I mean, while an amazing guy, he's still a guy. Replacing lights- especially one that he never uses- would normally fall outside of his area of attention. Anyway- I got home one night after working out and saw this pack of tiny little lights sitting on the counter. I almost cried. I thought that was so kind. He jokes that when I tell people that it makes him sound like such a deadbeat husband because really- its clearly not the only or the best thing he's done. But I say that it's easy to get big gifts on big holidays, but it's harder, and thereby sweeter, to be aware of the little things, especially when unmentioned. He spoke my love language. Which happens to be: presents and acts of service. Poor guy.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment