5/9/11

More Than I Deserve

This weekend was a special one- I know I say that each weekend is so great- but this one will really stand out in my mind for a long time. Yesterday was mother's day- the first one really for me because last year I was sick and didn't even get to celebrate it. I woke up to an edible arrangement from Bennett, and if you don't know already, I happen to be obsessed with those. I know they're a little tacky- but come on- who doesn't love a tasty bouquet of fruit- some of which is dipped in chocolate. And as we hurried to get ready for church, Bennett said "Sam, why don't you wear the necklace I gave you when Davis was born..." I very abruptly said "Come on Davis, you know he broke the chain on it..." and then he handed me a little package from Eliza Page with a new chain for my very special necklace. I almost cried. So sweet.

We rushed to church because we couldn't be late this week as Davis was being dedicated. There were 4-5 little ones being dedicated, Davis was by far the oldest, the loudest and the squirmiest. Of course we were last, so we stood on the side of the front of the church and most of the congregation could hear Davis saying "Dow? Dow? Dow?" over and over and over as the others were dedicated. When we got to the front, he was really ready to move...so much wrestling. Of course this would happen in front of so many people. Pastor Matt handled it brilliantly, joking about how it looked like Davis needed a little brother to sword fight with, and then said to the congregation "Okay- all you football coaches out there- early recruiting will begin after church. He is going to be a force."

We got through it all and went to Chez Zee for brunch. It was so nice to have our family there, Bennett's uncle Randy, and our friends Courtney and B. My grandfather gave my mom and I corsages, which made me feel very special. Nikki and my grandfather made Davis the coolest mobile of fish and loaves that is so cool- so nice to have an artist and a handyman in your family. B and Courtney gave him a bible with his name on the front and one of B's favorite verses written on the inside cover, my mom gave him this little crystal cup she gave me when I was baptized, and my grandparents gave him a little table and chair set my grandmother got when he was five. It was just so nice. I mean it's nice to feel loved by your friends and family, but it's even better to feel that your friends and family love your family (especially your babies). I don't know if that makes sense unless you are a mom- but I think it's so true. My heart melts when I see my friends love on Davis.

When we got home Davis told me I should go get a pedicure and then when I was finished we went to the pool to hang out for a bit. All in all, I felt so loved yesterday. And I felt so proud. Not just of Davis and my family- but proud to be a mom. Am I the biggest dork or what? I totally did though. I felt like I actually get it now. I get what being a mom is about and I get how important it is to kids, to adults, to families and really...to our world. (Go moms go!) What good stuff has happened without a mom behind the scenes? Not much.

Anyway- yesterday was a great day- and it left me thinking that I have been given so much more than I deserve. And I am super thankful for that.

So here are a few pictures of Davis at his new table. Trying a fork for the first time. He thinks it's so fun to sit at that table- he crawls right up on the chair, sits for a while, eats, then thinks he needs to get down...but one minute later, he climbs right back up for more. He is so big. And so funny. He's gotten really brave with strangers lately- he walks right up to them, waits for them to notice him, and then gives them the biggest, cheesiest smile ever.

P.S. I don't want to neglect to mention that Saturday was our first annual family car wash day- Tony and Nikki came over and we parked all four cars in the driveway and swarmed them with suds. It was awesome- we cleaned four cars in under an hour. Nikki brought little D some of his own sponges and so he helped a little but mainly sucked on the sponges and ate all of Nikki's cashews.

More good pics to come- but here are some mobile shots.



2 comments:

  1. I couldn't love you guys more - I am so grateful to your motherhood status - for bringing Davis into our world & family, for how amazing it is to watch him grow, for each little hug and kiss and smile he'll shine my way... for knowing the world is on a great track just because he is in it and possible.

    I loved this weekend with you guys - here's to many more family car days and gathering around to celebrate Davis' key steps as he grows.

    xoxox
    n

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you had a happy mothers day love... you deserved it and more.

    ReplyDelete