4/19/11

Child's Day

Believe it or not- it's that time again- time to think about who will keep Davis when Carrie goes back to school in mid-July. Our plan was to take him to a cute little daycare in our neighborhood until I got advice from a friend at work who took her boys there and strongly suggested we reconsider. Ugh. I was both bummed to hear that and have to re-think everything and glad to know so I could avoid it.

A lot of GSD&Mers take their kids to Child's Day- and rave about it. I have never really considered it because when I first looked on their site before Davis was born it seemed really expensive when I just needed part-time care. But I decided to check it out as both the cost goes down as the kids get older AND I realize I would really enjoy the flexibility when my mom can't come or when I have something come up at the office on Fridays.

I went today and it was unlike any of the other 5-6 daycares we have seen. First- it's more like a little school. All of the teachers have degrees in childhood development and most of them have been there 5-10 years. The owner of the school sat down with me for about 45 minutes to tell me about the school, ask me questions, and really learn about Davis and his family. It was awesome. They do in-home visits to understand what the kids home lives are like, and they put together developmental plans specific to your child and together you check progress quarterly.

Luckily, my timing was pretty good on going in. I will know as soon as Thursday if he can get it for the new year, which starts in late August. I'm also on the waiting list because my hope is that he can start in July and we can do 2-3 weeks of transition before Carrie leaves. I am hopeful and for the first time in dealing with the idea of daycare- I feel peaceful about it. I think it's the right fit- and I think he is ready for friends and school and more structured learning 3-4 days a week.

Am I still anxious about seeing him cry when I drop him off? YES. Do I feel guilty about not spending every moment with him? YES. Do I wish I could spend MORE time with him? YES. But I think that is how every working mom feels- and I need to be an example to him too. I need to make sure he realizes he can do this. He can be independent and not feel afraid. He can do anything and he can push himself and pursue things he loves- and do a lot of different things without feeling fear or guilt. At least that is what I will be telling myself the first few weeks that I drop him off. :)

3 comments:

  1. this little school sounds amazing! i will be waiting for the thursday update - it just seems like an incredible opportunity! he will love having little friends and all that socializing will teach him great things at the same time. it sounds like a knowing, caring, attentive place, Sam. you'll be giving him a heads up on so many things that i think you should think of it as the real gift it is - he's a lucky little boy to have such a terrific place to learn and play and make new little friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks nikki! thanks for your ongoing support.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put Emersyn in a little school like this when I went back to work, a few days a week, before I had Elynn. She LOVED it. I felt so guilty doing it, but then realized she loved all the fun things they did. She cried at first, but then got to the point where she would walk in, turn around, and say, "bye mom!" I was sad and happy at the same time.

    ReplyDelete