3/10/10

Today


I showed up at work to see a lady working out on the front sidewalk. If you know where I work, you know that the building is huge and conspicuous, there is a large grassy area out front, then a sidewalk, then a pretty busy street.

At first I thought she was working out on the grassy knoll, and I said to myself "Hmm...maybe she is from Santa Monica and thinks this is normal..." She had a stretch stick- which looks like an 8 foot pole- and so I thought maybe she was doing some stretches and needed the grass- which I guess is justifiable, but still a bit odd. I kept watching, walking slowly, and I noticed that her workout was not happening on the lovely green grass but was really taking place ON the sidewalk, within about a foot of the edge, right in front of the busy street.

I was intrigued. I kept watching and I thought to myself "Maybe she works at GSD&M." Nothing phases me here anymore and I guess that would make this a bit more normal (?) which sort of concerned me, but at this point, I really wanted to know who this lady in sweat pants, with super long hair (the kind i wanted when i was little and had a bowl cut) and a floral banadana was.

I kept walking until I quite literally ran into a co-worker of mine, (who, between you and I, is kind of a kooky guy himself), who looked at me like "WTH?" We both watched as she jogged in place- and moved her arms in circles- using DIRT FILLED OZARKA WATER BOTTLES as her weights.

Where do these people come from? SxSW is about to happen here so I could blame it on that- but really I'm dying to know her story. Was she walking from a nearby yoga/stretch stick class to her apartment and decided she needed to burn a few more cals before proceeding any further? Is she doing a documentary on exercise and traffic? There was no camera crew...

Anyway, I probably won't think of anything else all day.
And this picture of Davis is unrelated- except that his face sort of looks like mine while I was watching this lady work out. It's not the best quality BUT I keep forgetting to charge my phone battery so I can upload some new ones.
Peace out.

1 comment:

  1. awesome, now you know the things I dealt with on a daily basis, officing at 6th and Congress.

    Jan 22, 2009 - 8:45AM
    300 lb woman at bus stop decides she has to relieve herself, so she makes her way to the nearby Starbucks. Whats the big deal, a woman needs to use the restroom and seeks out the nearest public toilet facility, you ask...?? You and this disheveled person obviously have differing ideas of what a "public toilet facility" actually is. She proceeds to pull down her sweat pants, and places her rear against the Starbucks window (patrons, midconversation, watch on with unobstructed view). She then begins to urinate furiously onto the sidewalk. Now keep in mind the time of year and time of day this takes place. If there were any hopes of being inconspicuous, they were quickly diminished by a steaming course of waste that conveniently found its way back to the bus stop where this little story bagan. Certainly turned some heads.

    ReplyDelete