7/11/13

4

Katie and I have been exchanging calls and texts about how I would rank my mental state while here in Minne. She knows me so well and she just went through a move to Ohio- so I appreciate her checking in. Most days I've been at about an 8...yesterday was a 4. I don't know exactly why- maybe it was many things- but it was just sort of a quiet and sad day. So what do you do on a sad day? Exercise a little retail therapy.

I have been needing some new running shoes, so I went to the mall yesterday to pick up a pair. I tried on probably 8 different pairs and found one that I really liked, but it was $150, which I think is a little ridiculous. I mean there are shoeless kids in Africa, I don't need shoes that are $150. So, I kept looking and then found a pair that was $89. I tried them on, they felt good, they weren't exactly the cutest, but I was still excited.

I went to the counter, and the guy said "Okay- that will be $189.99..." Excuse me, what? The irony was that I had chosen these shoes because they were a better price...so did I just tell him no and return them, which is what I would typically do? NO. I was having such a bad day and I had already told him I would wear them out of the mall, so I just paid and walked out. And then, like a little baby, I sat down on a bench, crying and changed my shoes. It wasn't really the shoes that made me cry...it was just a sad day. And the shoes were the stupid icing on the cake.

So now I have to go back and return them and find another pair...and hope that the guy that sold them to me isn't there. But today is better. Last night was fun, we went to Snuffy's, which is this little old malt shop...not renovated to look old and classic, but truly old and classic...and I got to talk to my mom, Nikki and Courtney. Courtney sent me a text yesterday of some flowers she had put in a vase on her table...she said "I love how you always have fresh flowers and I was missing you, so I thought I would do it myself..."

Which made me feel like a million bucks and was also a great reminder to continue to do the little things that make me happy. So, I went to Byerly's this morning and got some sunflowers and put them in a pretty glass vase. They don't quite have the selection that HEB does...but it will have to do. Cub and Target are worse.

Okay, enough poor me.

Tomorrow I have coffee with one of the guys that I spoke with before moving here- he is the one that works at the digital shop here- that was so kind and said maybe he and his wife could have us over for dinner...they have a position open, I don't know that it's what I want to do, but we'll see...always good to meet people face to face and learn more.

Then Tuesday I am having lunch with a recruiter from the previously mentioned great retailer here who had the awesome position I was interviewing for that was then abruptly put on hold. He is not only a great connection, but super nice and easy to talk to, and maybe he'll be my new best friend? I don't know. Who knows. You never can tell...

Then Thursday I am having coffee and some conversations with another agency in town...

So I'm trying.

And we have a sitter this Saturday so maybe Bennett and I will go to dinner and a movie or something...and then Honey comes on Sunday. Things are looking up. Today is going to be a good day. At least a 7.

Have a good one.

Oh, one quick note, another thing about the number 4 is that Davis is obsessed with it. Everything is about 4...can I have 4 pretzels? Can I watch for 4 minutes? Can I stay up for 4 minutes? Is it 4 that you have? It's pretty interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment