3/22/13

Parenting is Hard

I'm so thankful for Carrie...because she and I are very much in the same stage of life, with kids roughly the same age, and definitely the same genders. And also, she's always about 6-12 months ahead of me since her kids are older...so she has great advice. Anyway, we were talking yesterday and at one point we were both just like "Man...this parenting business is hard."

Here's why I think it's hard- okay in reference to these night tantrums...on one hand, part of me feels like if I have learned one thing over the last 3 1/2 years of being a parent it's that consistency is key. And so part of me feels like consistent rules and feedback are what Davis needs each night. "No you cannot eat at 2:00 a.m. No you cannot get up out of bed. Yes, you will just lay on the floor if that is where you choose to throw your tantrum." It's just like crying it out at bedtime. You are teaching them what is expected and sticking to it is the quickest way to get it done.

But the other part of me is like "Okay, something is clearly bothering him. What is it and what does he need emotionally to feel better?" And I just don't know the answer to that. Maybe it's hunger, but even when he's full after eating at 2:00 a.m. he is still crying and shouting. So I don't know that that is the WHOLE solution. Is he scared? He says he isn't. Is he sick? He is perfectly fine all day. Is he growing or does he have something hurting him physically that he can't articulate? He says "no".

So I've prayed over him, I've laid with him, told him how much we love him, everything emotionally supportive I can think of...and I'm sort of at my wit's end.

Hmmph. This parenting business really is hard.

P.S. sorry I've been a little heavy on the blog lately- just wanting to document my real life as it happens- and this is actually what is happening.

BUT I HAD A BLAST LAST NIGHT WITH MY GAL PALS. AND I LIKE MY NEW HAIR...AND TOMORROW IS NIKKI'S BIRTHDAY AND SATURDAY HONEY IS TAKING DAVIS TO FRED FOR THE DAY!!! SO THERE IS SOME POSITIVITY FOR YOU. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment