1/10/13

You Can't Have it All...

I have a bunch of cute pictures to upload and for some reason- the upload function isn't working today on blogger. Sorry mom.

Anyway, to the point...
I'm starting to believe you can't have it all. And that the idea of having it all is silly anyway. I read an article today about some of the women that are in leadership at GSD&M, and I love one of the points that was made. You can read the full article here, but here is the gist of what really resonated with me: You can't have it all...at one time. And not because we're women, and not because it's simply too difficult, but because: THERE. SIMPLY. ISN'T. ENOUGH. TIME.

This idea has been washing around in my skull for a while, but reading the article really cemented my feelings on the subject. If you want to have it all- then first you better get pretty darn realistic about what that means. I know it varies by person, but for me, and I think most typically, it's:
1) building a successful career
2) meeting the right person and falling in love
3) developing and supporting a happy family
4) building a network of great friends

It takes time to do any ONE of those things well, right? You have to really work hard for many years to get to the top at work. You gotta kiss a lot of frogs to meet a prince, and that's just the beginning. Falling in love is easy. Staying in love is harder. Family? The most time consuming (and yes, best, most fulfilling) work out there. Am I right? If you're doing it well- you're thinking about it at all times. And friendships- good ones- take time.

So really I'm over the idea of having it all...at one time, anyway.
And I'm even more into the idea of realizing that there is a flow to life. It ebbs, it flows, things change, you grow...and while it's uncertain, it's all in God's time and in His plan. If you let it be.

So here's what I say to having it all...gimme a break. I'm just trying to do what I can to make this life what I want it to be. And that, my friends, is all I can do. Keep trying.




No comments:

Post a Comment