6/10/13

FOOD.

I have some amazingly talented friends. About 10 of us went to our friend, Brooke's, house yesterday for brunch for Courtney's (also known as Corky to Davis and Holden) birthday. Brooke and her husband were frying chicken, they had already made homemade ice cream, pickled giant green tomatoes, and little sugar cookies to stick in the ice cream. I was so impressed.

I serve my guests Flavor-Ice popsicles. On a good day- when I have them. I was so inspired to really spend more time learning to make things while in Minneapolis. I mean- I bet making pickled tomatoes is not that difficult- and they were SO GOOD. There are so many things I plan to do when I get to Minneapolis. It reminds me of my senior year in high school.

I had just spent the summer working at Camp Balcones Springs with a bunch of college kids and little kids (of course)...and I felt like a really changed person. I felt very removed from "high school" and all the things that came along with it. I remember that I cried the entire drive home because I didn't want to go back to my life there and I knew I had the choice to either revert back to "high school" or probably be very lonely.

Probably a week after getting home, I was writing in my journal, and I decided that I would use my senior year as a growth year. I had this realization that high school was not going to matter anymore in just one short year and that I wanted to be more of the person I wanted to be- by the time I got to college. So I decided, I would spend my time doing things that were important to me, to my growth. This list, at the time, included: learning to play the guitar, reading great books, getting more focused on my faith, and working out. And I decided I wouldn't feel sad about being lonely- I would focus on the work I had cut out for me.

Anyway- that is sort of how I feel about my time in Minneapolis. Don't get me wrong- I'm going to get involved and try to make it as fun and social as possible- but if and when it's not...I have this whole other list of things I could work on and do...one of them being cooking and making things (not just food- but cool things) the other being working out...and the others including reading more, taking a class, and focusing on my faith.

Anyway- back to the point- the brunch was so fun. I left actually feeling pretty sad though. I know how hard it is to find a true "community" and man, I have an amazing community of girl (and guy) friends. And I was thinking yesterday about how talented my friends are. One started her own photography business last year and it's really thriving, another is writing a cookbook with a very well-known chef, another is an executive producer at another ad agency in town...I mean they are just so cool, and so good, and so smart. I could go on about it forever...

Anyway, here are some pictures of the brunch, and a few from Salt Lick the other night.


Fried chicken and waffles, salmon, watermelon salad, pickled tomatoes, and amazing drinks.




Poor little D is holding on like his dad is going to drop him into the meat cooker.


Oh, and this happened yesterday. I realize Bennett looks like a creepy box demon, but look how happy little Davis is? Box fortresses are so fun.

1 comment:

  1. my heart and my eyes are brimming over. here's to another incredible growth year - i can't wait to see and hear about all of your new endeavors and adventures.

    xoxo
    nikki

    ReplyDelete