8/16/13

Up in The Air

I wrote this post last night on my flight back from Austin. Have a great weekend.

I'm still amazed that in flight wi-fi is no big deal now. Really, I'm just amazed that our kids will not even understand how or why we ever did anything for hours at a time, including flying, without access to the internet. I say that because I am posting this on my flight home from Austin. I have a lot to fill you in on, so here goes, no order, just thoughts.

My blog is about to get a major update. Get ready to be blown away by a sophisticated new look and feel. I've been needing to do this for a while- the blogger platform is okay- but not what someone who works day in and day out in branding, digital strategy and evolving technology, should be working on. Also, it's always made me sad that the URL is "thebennett3". Poor Holden. So, I'll have a new address too, that is more relevant to our current family status, which I will share with you all.

The trip to Austin was not what I expected. I expected to really miss it and feel sad, and I didn't. Don't get me wrong, I miss the people...but it's pretty hard to miss the heat and crunchy brown grass. I think August and September are the WORST months of the year in Austin, so I'm sure that's a big part of it.

Also, I didn't plan on being sick. I was SO sick. I'm only starting to feel better today. Again, it was still so fun to see Nikki, Courtney and Carrie (and B and Zach), but I guess I had pictured us doing a bit more...poor Courtney, she really got me at the worst of it. I basically just laid on their couch for like 48 hours and alternated between Advil gel caps and Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches.

I told my clients about my move. Such a relief- I hated not saying anything and also- they were so great about it. I was sitting in a room with about 8 clients, including the CMO and I just came out with it. I said "Okay, so I have some news..." and I paused. They all tilted their heads and paused with faces like "WHAT." So then I just explained that I had moved and that I had been working remotely and it seemed to be working for me, and if it was working for them, I would keep on with that for the time being. The CMO quickly said "Works for me..." and everyone nodded and was like "AGH. We thought you were going to say you were quitting." I learned that technique from Steel Magnolias (best movie ever, by the way) when Weeza is explaining that her nephew broke the news to his parents that he was gay by first saying:

"Momma. Daddy. I have something to tell you. I've got cancer and I've got six months to live..." when they got all sad, he quickly said "I'm only kidding. I'm just gay."

Ha. I owe many of my best moves to Shirley Maclaine. "THIS IS FOOTBALL. People want to talk about touchdowns and injuries. They don't give a damn about that grape shit." So many good quotes.

I almost just barfed on this flight. Like really. This is hands down the most turbulent flight I've ever been on. I was doubled over, with my Corona pressed against my neck like a regular cold compress, praying to the good God above that this would not be the way it all went down. There are many ways to die and I think one of the least dignified is on a plane, listening to bad jokes from the guy two seats over, while the girl just to the right of me watches Epic while eating the worst smelling Chinese food I've ever smelled. I think I dodged the bullet, it's been smooth sailing for about 20 minutes now.

I'm so ready to get home. This is the longest I've been away from Davis and Holden and I can literally feel their soft cheeks and smell their sweet skin. I had time to swing by the Co-Op today so I brought Davis a little UT football uniform, complete with a white jersey (he has orange), football pants, and a helmet. I think he will love it, especially after playing football with Charlie last weekend. I think that as cliche as it is, football is going to be his sport. The kid loves to tackle. I also got Holden a little UT cheerleader uniform. I am going to DIE when she puts it on. And so help me, I will get a picture of her in it with a little white bow in her hair if it kills me. (A far more dignified way to go, right?)

Did I tell you I painted Davis' room and the kitchen? In like 5 hours, no tape, no plastic floor cover, no mistakes? Well I'm telling you again. If I don't land a job that I love in Minne, I might just start my own painting biz. I actually thought that to myself while painting. Sometimes I get a little carried away. Anyway- it looks great and makes a huge difference so now I am completely inspired to paint Holden's room and our bedroom. And I know what you are thinking- it's a rental house- but environment is everything. And it only took 4 hours. And, I think the paint they chose for the bedrooms is such a shame- I almost feel like I owe it to the house. It's such a good house and who paints walls buttercream anyway?

I had breakfast with Ahmad and Stacey yesterday. It was so fun to catch up and Ahmad's story was so good, I wish I could share it. But too much background is required and also it's not my story to tell. If I'm going to divulge secrets here, I suppose I must limit it to my own.

Ahmad and I had some real talk, as always. Some good thoughts to ponder. Like: how can one find the balance between being a person that never stops learning, moving growing (moss doesn't grow on a rolling stone) while also being a person that is thankful and can truly content with what they have? Is it possible to be taking advantage of this life to the full extent while also being content? We didn't come up with the answer- but we probably will eventually. We also talked a ton about using your gifts to give to the world. And how to really just go for it- feel so joyful, so carefree, so ready for whatever God and the universe has for you. Things we're both always trying to do and be. I love that guy. And Stacey too. She just had to leave early for a work meeting. I miss working out with them.

The sunset right now is so beautiful, I wish I could take a picture. It's like the hot pink you would find in a vaurnet shirt from the 80s, with sherbet underneath and then an amazing lilac gray beneath it. God is just an artist.

Okay, that's all I have. Hope you had a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment